Wednesday, January 6, 2010

February 2006




It's hard to believe, these pictures were taken almost 4 years ago.
This was our house in Austria when it was still white. (We painted it green in 2007 - or was it 2008...)
Anyways, the winter of 2006 was a tuff one.
The snow started falling in November and it seemed it never stopped till february.
I mean it didn't continuously snow, the problem was that we didn't have a single thawing period in between.
So the snow kept piling up on the roofs...
We were practically snowed in and we were afraid that the truss would not be able to hold the weight of the snow any longer.
It was an older house and the beams just didn't look strong enough to me.
A lot of people seemed to have the same problem, some got help from the fire department to clear the roofs of snow and some had to go up there themselves.
I was one of the latter.
Can you see me up next to the chimney???
And look at the driveway, there was no way of coming through anymore.




It was quiet scary at the beginning but then my fear got replaced by despair.
There was SO MUCH SNOW!
And it was heavy too.
I think I was up there close to four hours that day and got most of it off. At least at the most crucial places.
I couldn't free the gutters from all the ice though, but that didn't matter anyways, they were already destroyed.





I will never forget that day.
I had never seen so much snow in my life before... at least not on a roof!


:))




Today's the last of the christmas holidays here in Sweden (and most of europe).
It's snowing, grey and cold outside.
AND we are under the weather meaning we somehow managed to catch a cold.
We are sneezing and sniffing and didn't sleep well for two nights in a row, it's no fun.

Tomorrow school starts again and I really hope I'll feel better then.
I was hoping for some sunshine today so I could go out with the camera... no luck so far.

But I am not complaining, life's good in general.

Isn't it!


:))

11 comments:

  1. WOW!I have never seen SO much snow! In fact, I have ony seen snow once, and it was man-made.WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really so much snow! You must have had a lot of work to take it out! But it´s also such a beautiful view! Here in Brazil it´s so hot now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Grief!! What a great shot of all that snow! I can't imagine having that much snow! It's a wonder the roof didn't cave in from all that weight! It looks like 5-6 feet of snow there! Hope you feel better. It has been snowing here for 4 days, but only light snow, enough to make the roads slick and dangerous. Take care!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that my friend is some work! We've had to remove snow from our rooftops here in Wisconsin a few times, but this takes the cake!

    Hard work for sure.

    Hope you get out to enjoy the day, even if it is gray and overcast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH.MY! That is a lot of snow. Scary amount. Yes, it gets SO heavy. I'm glad you cleared the roof but it looked so dangerous. Maybe your snow is light and fluffy? It tends to be wet and heavy around here, so when it snows large amounts, we have barns, arenas, carport roofs collapsing. Scary stuff.
    I caught a cold too! Ugh. I started with weird cough (instead of the usual sore throat) but now it's getting worse. And I have to work this weekend. Hope you guys feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MY GOD!
    well, your photos are gorgeous, but i'm sure it was incredibly scary, it looks unreal. i'm glad you were unhurt and your home.
    I hope your skies clear up and you feel better soon!
    xo lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cow! That is a lot of snow!
    The pictures are so fun to look at
    usually when is snows here the sun is out the same day or the next, thats a good thing.
    I hope you are feeling better, stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  8. INCREDIBLE!!!!!! That is utterly amazing!!!! Makes for wonderful photos, but I bet you are glad that's behind you!!! Stay warm!!! And best wishes as you begin school again!!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's a lot of snow! Makes the 7 inches we got yesterday like nothing. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a memory that's nice to look back on but not much fun while it's happening. That was a lot of snow at once, and it's good that you got it off the roof, especially if your snow was wet and heavy. Here our snow is very dry so it isn't as heavy, but still some winters there is enough snow that it needs to be shoveled off the roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ho, ho, ho. Now, that`s what we could call "SNOW". With so much weight, I can say the house is well built, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello friends and visitors of hillybillyfarmgirl! Please feel free to leave a comment, I'd appreciate it.